Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Do or Die

My last attempt at saving the ceramic sculpture that I have been working on. Barb, the instructor, informed me last night that this was do or die, either way she/I needed to by done. She needed to be fired. 

I got the poem carved into her back. I fixed as many cracks as I could with a concoction of slip, paper, and vinegar. Barb said this is the best option I have to get her to not crack. 

I also added the birds on her head and also in the nest. I can't remember what Barb called the stuff that you can see on her wrist and a few other locations. This is also something to help bond the cracks that are forming. 
I need to either change my method of sculpting or not use this clay for this type of work. It has been a great learning experience to try this clay and also to push myself to sculpt with a very limited time frame. Not something that I am good at so I think it has been good for me. I think she will be bisque fired next time I am at class. So then I need to think about how I will finish her. What glazes will work, and how do I want her to look. 

No comments: