Monday, November 27, 2017

Finished Angel Cast


So here is the finished mold of the angel relief sculpture. I am happy with the results, but it has become really clear to me that I didn't need to make the walls nearly as think as I made them. It would have saved me some cost for the materials. Just a really good lesson to learn .



Here is the first resin cast. I mixed bronze powder into the resin before I added the catalyst. It was much darker that I anticipated it to be. It seemed to not be this dark on the You Tube videos that I watched about this process. But I could be wrong. It was the color of the bronze powder. Maybe I need to try a different metal powder.  


Here she is after a couple rounds of buffing with 0000 steal wool. I have to say I am not really happy with the results. This is one of those moments that makes me question my abilities. Why do I even want to try to be an artist? The vision of how I wanted her to look is not this. I made another cast using a different process but I am not sure it will be must better. Not sure where I am going to go after this. 

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Burned into me head

That didn't happen.
And if it did, it wasn't that bad.
And if it was, that's not a big deal.
And if it is, that's not my fault.
And if it was, I didn't mean it.
And if I did...
You deserved it.

Mold Making

So I finally pulled the trigger on molding and casting this relief sculpture. I built up the mold wall with clay and did my best to seal the bottom to the board and all the seams. 


Here is the first layer of silicone. It is clear to me now that I have put on the first layer of silicone. I made the mold way to big!! LOL I guess this is just one of the many lessons that I will learn along my path to creating art. I will get another layer on tonight and hope to cast the first resin this weekend! Fingers crossed, that everything will work out>