Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Europe Trip 2012 cont. Florence Itay

 Florence was really exciting to visit. This is the birthplace of the Renaissance!! This is where Michelangelo and Leonardo De Vinci walked...painted and worked. Our hotel was right around the corner from this 11th century baptistery of John the Baptist. You can not move in this city without seeing history!
 This is a close-up picture of the sculptures on the baptistery. I was in awe... I bumped into so many people and wobbled my ankles on the cobble stones the entire time I was in Florence because I could not stop looking at all the buildings. How do people that live here get used to it? I don't think I would ever tire of looking at all the beauty there.
 I really have no words to express standing at the base of the David. It is truly breathtaking. I literally had tears when I seen him. I was amazed.




The two pictures above are from a beautiful square, I wish I could remember all the names of the squares and building of Florence. This one had the carousel and there was usually a musician playing. I love the way everyone seems to live outdoors. 

 Ponte Vecchio Bridge, and the lower picture is taken from the bridge looking down to the bridge below. When we were on Ponte Vecchio were two guitar player that were wonderful. It was so fun to just sit and listen to them play. At one point a large group of teens joined in the song.

One of the statures at the bridge. So beautiful and yet not even a famous sculpture... Just there. This is how all of Florence is! Beauty and art at every turn.
 We went through the Uffizi museum, it holds the worlds most important collection of Renaissance art. It was so amazing! This is the view of Ponte Vecchio from the Uffizi.
 There was a festival going on while we were in Florence. Part of this festival is a game, but they say it is more like a brawl... the only rule is that you can't bite. This was the green team. I am pretty sure that they one their match that day.
 Part of the parade was these flag throwers... pretty cool :)
 
One square was full of sculptures. I loved the beheading of Medusa. 
 
 One last view overlooking Florence. It was such an amazing city and I hope that one day I can go back, there is so much to see and I just got a small taste of it.

No comments: