Monday, May 4, 2009

Long Runs

So the past few Saturday I have been running my longest runs in preparation for the Ogden Marathon. This is something that I always struggle with, and I don’t know if I will ever really get comfortable with long runs. I will be running seventh marathon and I’m still surprised that I can run that far. I didn’t start running until I was in my 30’s, I was always an active person, but never sports minded. Running has slowing become as much a part of my life as eating and sleeping. I have formed friendships that will last my lifetime, and garnered experiences I will never forget.
When it comes to preparing for a marathon, long runs are vital. Slowly building up your miles so that you body and mind can get used to running for more then three to four hours. Really… as I’m typing it does sound insane! Why would someone do this to themselves? It’s something that I really don’t have words to express. Most people would consider it torture. But I think it’s that internal drive to see what we can accomplish. Whether it’s running, school, art, we all have a need to accomplish things we can be proud of. That somehow sets us apart in a small way.
I feel privileged to belong to this small group of people that can call themselves marathoners not everyone can or will do it in their lifetime. I know that I will never stand on the winner’s podium and have my name announced. But I’m still out there every day adding up those miles on my legs.

No comments: